Mind Body Kung Fu
Classes in Zhong Xin Dao (中心道) / I-Liq Chuan (意力拳), the Martial Art of Awareness.
Latest Blog Posts
- Fork Energy: Engaging Structure and MassAt the point of contact, you want to be able to generate at least two energies: one attacking the structure and one attacking the mass. The why and how of this may not be immediately obvious, but the principle behind this “fork” energy can be understood via simple models. As a first pass to understanding, […]
- Random Thoughts Dec 2015Inching towards clarity Sifu has said that he doesn’t teach anything new, rather we just understand things differently each time. I haven’t had any earth-shattering learning experiences with my training lately, so I take this to mean that enough of what Sifu has taught me has sunken in that my head no longer hurts when […]
- Tuning In“Son of man, you live in the midst of the rebellious house, who have eyes to see but do not see, ears to hear but do not hear; for they are a rebellious house.” ~Ezekiel 12:2 (New American Standard Bible) A good portion of learning I-Liq Chuan is learning to recognize what you are seeing. […]
- Training MistakesMistakes are part of the training process. Stumbling a bit while exploring beyond your comfort zone is par for the course. Recognizing the mistakes and correcting them is essential to make progress. I didn’t see my mistakes at the time (hindsight is 20/20). Looking back on my training, I’ve made plenty of mistakes that were […]
- What a Child Can Teach You About Learning Gong FuBabies start their lives with very limited movement abilities, and yet they can learn to crawl and walk largely on their own. They focus their attention on themselves to wire up the neural pathways that allow them control their bodies and feel what their bodies can sense. Learning gong fu as an adult requires a […]